Thursday, January 25, 2007

Heavy novels

I didn't know of Enrique Vila-Matas' Montano, his new novel in translation, until I saw this absurdly short review in The New Statesman. I read Bartleby & Co in a day sometime ago, and forgot it immediately. But there was something attractive in its quiet but insistent preference not to be a normal novel; to be true, instead, to its own internal logic. In her 207 words, Nadia Saint reminds us that Bartleby & Co was "challenging", which it wasn't, so then warning that Montano is "really heavy stuff" doesn't put me off - and I hate heavy novels (The Da Vinci Code and the Harry Potter series, that sort of thing).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Please email me at steve dot mitchelmore at gmail dot com.

Blog Archive

Contact steve dot mitchelmore at gmail.com. Powered by Blogger.